Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mid Day Checkup - Student Athlete Edition


  I took one step on campus not knowing what to expect. I didn’t know if camp here at sports challenge would be intense or easy. Since I have been here I learned to open up, talk, and experience difference. At sports challenge I believe the focus here is to learn to be a leader. Since I have been here I learned to be a leader and make a difference. Each day we are given themes to accomplish. Those themes are Risk, Vision, Empathy, and Communication. I can honestly say I have made it my business to incorporate each and every theme. Now when I go back to my home town which is Philadelphia I can share what I have learned and hopes learn to. 




In practice today we focused on communication. Coming to sports challenge has helped me communicate with my teammates and roommates alike. When I first came to sports challenge I was shy and quiet. The participation level was low on my part and I was unfocused. By the second full day of sports challenge my confidence was booming and I felt more focused and comfortable on and off the court. I am able to communicate verbally and non-verbally with my teammates on the court, which forms me into a better player. I really want to bring these qualities of communication and risk back to my team at home. I will only be a junior but I am now willing to step up and lead my team with the activities and qualities that sports challenge has given me. Taking risks and communicating have guided me at sports challenge to not only feel comfortable physically on the court but to feel stronger mentally.

Emily D. (Age 16) 

Philadelphia, (girls basketball program)


Sports Challenge is an overall amazing experience. You get to meet some amazing people and coaches. Rather than focusing on just sports, which is still a big part of it, they get people to open up and “step out of their comfort zone”, interact with people that you just meet and learn to be a better person in and out of sports. Even though sports challenge is very exhausting, getting up early everyday and getting our vitamins in and the athletic sessions twice a day, they always add in very fun activities and everyone has a blast. 


--Travis Norton (Age 17)


San Diego, (boys soccer program)





No comments:

Post a Comment