Thursday, July 1, 2010

Finding Your Voice and Valuing Others' Perspectives

Well, I feel that here at SportsChallenge I have to be more vocal, because I know I’m a shy person. I’ve learned to step up out of my shell, and communicate--and if I don’t, my ideas won’t come out. If I don’t step up I know I won’t get better at what I’m doing.

As a female, you have to work hard. When you play coed, you have to play a little aggressive with boys. They just think they have the control – you have to prove to them you can be a leader – you have to speak your ideas, play aggressively, and motivate your team.

In class, I’m usually quiet – now I raise my hand more, instead of the teacher having to call on me. When we set our SMARRTE goals, my advisor made it really specific and told me how many times a day I should try to speak out.
My advisor and I set the goal to speak once to three times in class...and on the field I play defense, so my goal has to been to tell them to push up more, or come back.

In my Sports Psychology Class, we did an activity called "human knot". We were tangled, and this kid Bader was in my class, and he’s usually the one who steps out and talks. The teachers though, said he couldn’t talk for this exercise. Everybody, including me, started to talk more, and I felt that was an opportunity for me to speak up more. I learned that you have to be able to listen well, and speak just at once.

This has been really different than Bell. At Bell, there’s a lot of Hispanics, and El Salvadorians. Here though, there are folk from Philadelphia, and New York.
I think it’s cool that our roommates are basketball players, because we have to step in there shoes, and get to know them. I also think it’s cool that we switch up sports, and get to play with them.

I learned that we speak different languages. We talk slang, but their slang is way different from DC. When we say a word, they’re like "what??"
Since your so used to your DC people, it’s a good opportunity to step to the other side and see how they speak, and their language.

-Elsa (Bell, Washington DC)

No comments:

Post a Comment