Wednesday, June 30, 2010

SportsChallenge Alumna Describes How SC Has Helped Her on Her College Soccer Team

Coach Celeste (right), coaches her players to not lean back too far when striking the soccer ball.


Did you learn things at SportsChallenge that helped you once you started playing on your college team?
"Yes! I remember my first year here in '05 as a student athlete, I came with my sister and a lot of other BAYSL girls. The biggest thing I needed to work on was my tone of voice, which is ironic because now I’m teaching class on exactly that! When I play, and get frustrated, I have a very hard time trying to correct people without criticizing them much. I remember Coach Nakamoto and Coach Koster pulling me aside and saying that this is something to work on. For the communication day, that was my goal. That has helped me soooooo much now. I was the worst. My motivation wasn’t to upset people, but to push them to my expectations. Now, I’m better at speaking to people as we’re playing and as we’re on the field. I’ve learned how to speak on the field. I still try to work on it now, especially as a coach. I’m trying to work on how to address players.

It has been a huge help on my college team – I’m so much better at speaking to teammates.

This year, I plan to bring the SMARRTE goal sheet to my team at college to fill it out at the beginning of the season. So we’re all on the same page, all have a goal, and all have a plan that we can look back at. I’m also going to bring back some of the team building exercises, just to build team comrades."
-Coach Celeste (Alabama A&M University)

No comments:

Post a Comment