Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Three Days In - Student Athletes Rise to the Occasion




Sports challenge has been a great experience. Every day you learn something new and grow more as a leader and a basketball player. Sports challenge actually challenge’s you both mentally and physically, and you really do get challenged physically. Most mornings you wake up the sore backs and muscles, but your team mates, coach’s and even random people across the camp push you and make you want to work through the pain and sore muscles. Today I walked into practice not only with sore legs but with bad stomach pains. My team mates helped motivate me but I still needed that extra little push. So I thought about one of my good friends little brother named, Amir. Amir passed away less than a month ago. He was born with a bad heart condition and was always in and out of the hospital. Baby Amir went through multiple surgeries at only the young age of four. He was a honestly a solider even until his very last days in the hospital bed. When doctors told his family he only had a day to live, he banged it out and went for a another three more days. His will to work through the pain and everything else he had to endure makes me think and say if he could go through all of that and still always have a smile on his face then I can live through the sore legs and back and early mornings and so when I feel I cant go any more I think of him and try to bang it out. And thats truly key here, you need to have a motivation and just have fun.

Khoudia N. (Age 15)

New York (Girls Basketball Program)

Well…Sports challenged is definitely the best program that I have been to. These last three days have been a life changing experience for me and I am guessing for many others. It’s a great experience for anyone, and there’s a lot of diversity. You literally are meeting people from all around the world, such as England, Argentina, New York, and San Diego.

There are many things we do especially in the morning, things such as vitamins. Vitamins are a workout of different cycles such as footwork, agility, speed, and strength. If I were not a rising senior I would definitely come back to sports challenge. I think sending your child here would be a favor for them and they would come back even more talented than before

You also eat breakfast lunch and dinner and snacks in between… man you got to love that food. Sports challenge also has coaches that are experienced in the sports your playing in.

Most of the coaches have previously or are currently playing overseas, and all of them either played in college or are still playing. Also as the day goes along you are being observed, because at the end of the day a leadership shirt is given to people that the coaches feel have been the most active, energetic, and helpful on and off the court. Sports challenge is a place where you learn to lead and lead to learn. I love sports challenge and though I’ve only been here for three days so far, they have made me a better ball player and a better leader each day.

Tyseem L (Age 17)

Brooklyn, NY (Boys Basketball Program)

No comments:

Post a Comment